Domestic tourism will be the first facet of leisure tourism to recover. People have missed traveling, that when restrictions ease up, they will start venturing on nearby places to their home. Moreover, countries are trying to boost their economies, and the domestic tourism industry is one of the sectors that can contribute to that.
The demand for domestic leisure travel will slowly increase in the next few months so hotels need to know who engages in domestic tourism and how to prepare for this segment during the “new normal.”
Characteristics of Domestic Leisure Travelers
Type of travel
Some domestic leisure travelers will explore their own ‘backyards’, or places close to their city (sometimes known as “staycations”). Some travelers will explore farther local destinations, but not far enough that it requires plane travel.
Length of stay
According to SiteMinder, domestic travelers especially “families” are likely to stay for a week or more and couples or groups of friends are less predictable.
Budget and hotel expectations
Domestic leisure travelers are eager to travel but will be price sensitive. They will want to get as much value with their money so they can catch up on outdoor activities they have been missing out on. Hotels should ensure optimal pricing, and it should not come at the cost of a reduction in amenities.
Factors To Consider When Accommodating Domestic Leisure Travelers
1. Government Mandates On Sanitation and Social Distancing
Travelers will naturally be safety conscious when traveling during the new normal. Hotels need to re-check their cleanliness procedures to ensure that the hotel is safe for all. During the new normal, there are new requirements on cleanliness and hygiene imposed by local governments. Hotels need to have new approaches to shared spaces, especially when guests are most likely to utilize onsite amenities.
2. Contactless Hotel Procedures
To maintain a safe distance from others, travelers expect hotels to have contactless and digital ways to connect with them. Hotels need to do everything (from payment, to check-in and check-out) online to connect with guests without close contact.
3. Flexible Booking and Cancellation Procedures
Travelers expect hotels to be more flexible with their cancellations and refund procedures because of time-sensitive occurrences. The pandemic has intensified guests’ trust issues, that your hotel needs to provide clear cancellation and refund policies. Make it easy to book in advance and think about entertaining flexible rates that guests may be able to take advantage of.
4 Things Your Hotel Needs To Accomplish Before Domestic Leisure Tourism Recovers
1. Be Updated On The Local Marketing Trends
Monitoring competitors and current market trends is very vital during this period of change. Domestic leisure travel is likely to record figures that have no historical backing because a crisis hits an industry in a different way every time. With that, real-time data is vital for tracking pricing and marketing trends to allow you to re-strategize. It’s important to identify what tool will give your hotel access to intelligence on current pricing and market trends.
2. Partner With Online Travel Agencies (OTAs)
OTAs will still be valuable partners as they continue to reach a wider group of people and bring significant demand to your hotel. Updates on OTA listings should be done regularly including safety and cleanliness guidelines and social distancing protocols. It is important for your hotel to clearly state the safety guidelines and government mandates being followed because even when all the restrictions have eased, safety will still be a key factor for guests.
3. Check Guest Insights
During these times, access to data is needed more than ever. Since guests’ concerns and attitudes are changing as COVID-19, it is important to have guests’ data on hand. Accessible data can help in re-strategizing your hotel’s special offers and packages.
4. Acquire An All-In-One Solution For Contactless Hotel Management
Hotels are already adapting digital solutions to keep consumers engaged, operations smooth and contact minimal. Automation of operations will be a huge trend and it is certain that the use of digital tools will be a permanent trend for hotels. Investing in a good all-in-one hotel solution would be the best action to take.
ZEN eManager: A Future-ready All-in-one Solution
Solutions lay in being informed and using the right tools in your hotel. During these challenging times, an expert all-in-one solution can assist hotels in preparing for domestic leisure travellers on contactless hotel management and implementing robust pricing strategies.
ZEN eManager is an all-in-one solution trusted by more than 5,000 hotels in Southeast Asia. Hotels that adapted ZEN eManager pre-COVID have been earning steady revenue at present; this is because it is a solution meant to prepare hotels for the future.
ZEN eManager comes with:
- A cloud-based hotel management system: ZEN eManager has both eZee Absolute, a Property Management System, and eZee Centrix, a Channel Manager. eZee allows easy management of hotel listings across all OTAs, real-time monitoring of hotel operations, generation of accurate financial reports online in one dashboard, acquisition of real-time guest insights, and sending of automated guest emails and reminders. Hoteliers can manage their properties remotely while ensuring that hotel operations are smooth and guest satisfaction is excellent.
- A dedicated revenue manager: ZEN eManager also includes a dedicated revenue manager straight from ZEN Headquarters. The assigned revenue manager applies the most advanced pricing algorithm, the ZEN Pricing Model, to ensure that hotel owners get maximum revenue no matter the season.
- Exclusive listing on zenrooms.com: ZEN Rooms is a trusted brand, with its own Online Travel Agency (OTA) zenrooms.com obtaining up to 1 million monthly website visits. ZEN also gives a marketing edge to exclusive partners by publicizing their hotels across digital marketing channels with more than 1 million followers.
Book a free demo of ZEN eManager at www.zen-hs.com/book-a-meeting to find out more.